Abrams Pleural Biopsy Needle Punch
Abram Pleural Biopsy Punch needle is an instrument used to collect a sample of membranes that surround the lungs called the pleura. Samples obtained this way are typically used to confirm or eliminate a diagnosis of tuberculosis or metastatic carcinoma. It is unique from other biopsy instrumentation in that it is a 3-piece needle-style tool consisting of an outer needle, an inner needle and a obturator. The outer needle is inserted through a small incision in the skin and features a cutting groove into which some of the pleura is drawn. The Abrams needle features a lock to which a syringe attaches, aspirating pleural fluid, signaling correct needle placement and that membrane can successfully be retrieved. With the syringe removed, an inner trocar is placed into the outer needle and rotated, which severs the section of pleura that has settled into the outer needle. The needles are then removed, and the membrane sample is retrieved. The outer diameter of the Abrams needle is 4mm. It is slightly larger than the comparable 3mm Cope Biopsy Needle, and will therefore yield a larger sample for biopsy. The shaft of this instrument is 3-1/2 inches and the overall length is 5-1/2.
Abram’s Needle IFU Instructions For Use: (Technique Using Abram’s Pleura Needle).
- Stylet is inserted into cannula which is in turn inserted into trocar.
- Under LA, a small skin incision is given, the needle is inserted 90 degree to the ribs. firm pressure exerted on stylet & needle pushed inside.
- Pop is heard when needle enters pleural space.
- Now stylet is removed, syringe attached & cannula rotated anticlockwise to open notch.
- Pl.fluid is aspirated, cannula rotated clockwise to lock notch any syringe changed.
- Now notch is unlocked, entire needle rotated so that notch points inferiorly.
- Needle is slightly withdraw now until it hooks to parietal pleura.now cannula is rotated clockwise to lock the notch and bus a biopsy is obtained.
- This is repeated for 3-4 times in different
Directions.Needle is then withdraw.biopsy will be at tip of needle. Wound closed with bandage/suture if reqd.
|Disposable or Reusable
|Sterile or Non-Sterile
|Latex or Latex-Free